Saturday, February 3, 2007

We'll See Who Gets The Last Word (or Cookie)

Last week I sent my son who is at college, cookies, his favorite Oatmeal Chocolate Chip. Now I did have an ulterior motive…. Bribery!
He has been a student at Rolla University for the past 6 years, first he received his Bachelors in Electrical Engineering and he is currently working on his Masters. Recently he was approached by his professor who was encouraging him to continue his education and work toward his Doctorate. His Masters was funded through a Fellowship Grant and his Doctorate would also be funded through a Fellowship Grant. So this is quite an opportunity for him, one that I THINK he really needs to strongly consider. But I also understand after 6 years of college you might be a little burned out, and ready to get a job, which I do understand, but like I said this is quite an opportunity for him. So I started presenting arguments to him as to why he needs to do this. I thought I was giving thoughtful, logical argument as to why he should pursue his Doctorate until he told me I sounded just like his professor. It was then that I decided I needed another approach, COOKIES!
I made a batch of cookies, his favorite Oatmeal Chocolate Chip, boxed them up and mailed them to him. However, I also included one extra thing, a typed document that stated “This is a legal binding contract. No signatures required, however, taking one bite of these cookies obligates you to pursue your education and receive your PHD” and signed it Love Mom. He gets the cookies the next day, right at lunch time. Perfect timing right, wrong, he won’t eat them! I’m on line so he chats me and asks if I counted the cookies before I sent them to him. I guess he was going to try and sneak one and send the rest back. I replied no, I did not count them, but I knew how tightly I had packed them. If you try and sneak one and send the rest back I will know. I couldn’t believe that he was resisting this temptation, but he decided he wouldn’t eat the cookies.
Finally I call him and say “look I really want you to get your PHD, but the cookies were suppose to be lighthearted gesture, EAT THE COOKIES”, which he did.
So today I get a package in the mail, it’s the same size box that I originally sent the cookies in and it is from my son, but it’s awfully light weight. I thought surely he did not send me back the empty container. Wrong he did, still had the cookie crumbs in it, but it also contained a note which read:

Mom….
Maybe DESSERT BURGERS will help me make up my mind on whether or not to stay and get my doctorate
Love Me

This story will be continued!

No comments: