Sunday, April 1, 2007

Biting Fish

Today was another beautiful day and my whole crew went fishing again. They caught a nice mess of fish; my husband even topped his catch from last week. Last week’s bass weighed in a 5 lb 2 oz (I think) and today’s catch of the day weighed in at 5 lbs 13 oz. We will be having a fish fry yet!

I had to laugh at my 6 year old grandson. He was in the bucket pulling out the fish and showing me his catch and everyone else’s. I asked his if he remembered when he wouldn’t touch a fish at all. He asked me what I was talking about. I told him the story of when he was about 3 years old. He hadn’t going fishing yet with his grandpa and Uncle T, but he was always right there when they came home from fishing. He would get close enough to see the fish, but not to close. On one occasion his grandpa wanted him to stand by him to get his picture taken with the fish and my grandson refused. He was not going to get close to the fish. When we asked him why, he said the fish would bite him. We then asked him why he thought the fish would bite him and his reply was “You always talk about how the fish are biting today”! After we all had a good laugh we explained to him how the fish did not bite us but would bite the hooks and that is how you caught the fish. After the explanation, he was fine with standing by the fish and having his picture taken with his grandpa. He still likes to have his picture taken with the fish and does not hesitate to hold the fish up to show the camera!

You do have to be careful though with what you say, because a 3 year old takes it literally! Now he is 6 and is quite the avid fisherman and holds his own. He did out fish his mom today!

No comments: